Bricklayers work with masonry materials such as brick, concrete block, stone, structural tile and pre-cast panels to construct and repair structures like walls, partitions, patios, arches, fireplaces, chimneys and other elements. They often work on commercial, industrial and residential buildings.
You like working outdoors and with your hands.
You have good physical strength.
You have used precision tools & equipment.
- Prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks, structural tiles or other masonry units
- Read sketches and blueprints to calculate materials required
- Cut and trim bricks and concrete blocks to specification using hand and power tools
- Build patios, garden walls and other decorative installations
- Lay or install firebricks to line industrial chimneys and smokestacks
- Line or reline furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Reading, communication, numeracy and problem-solving
- Ability to work with your hands
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse weather
- Physical fitness
- Ability to work with heavy materials
- Experience using precision tools & equipment
What You’ll Need
3 years from Red River College that includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.