Cement masons/finishers construct, level and finish freshly poured concrete. They install, maintain and restore concrete structures such as foundations, floors, ceilings and walls, sidewalks, roads, patios and high-rise buildings. In this career, they can work with construction companies, cement and concrete contractors and manufacturers of precast concrete products, or can be self-employed.
You are handy with tools.
You have good physical fitness and stamina.
You work well in a team and on your own.
- Direct placement of concrete, check formwork and steel reinforcement materials
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures
- Level top surface concrete according to grade and depth specifications
- Apply components to cure, waterproof and restore surfaces
- Use equipment and hand and power tools to create finishes on concrete surfaces
- Repair, resurface and replace worn or damaged sections of concrete structures
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Reading, communication, numeracy and problem-solving
- Attention to detail
- Dexterity with tools and equipment
- Stamina and good physical fitness
- Hand-eye coordination
- Spatial perception
What You’ll Need
Usually a combination of 3+ years of work experience in the trade, plus some high school, college or industry courses in cement finishing to be eligible for certification.
Apprenticeship Program: 2 to 4 years, includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.