Labourers use diverse skills in a variety of construction activities, including preparing construction sites, moving equipment and materials, installing water and sewer lines, operating hand tools, often working with concrete, and cleaning up finished sites. They are essential in assisting many other trades on site.
You are looking for variety on the job.
You like working with your hands and with machines.
You are comfortable working at heights and in diverse weather.
- Perform various duties involving lifting, carrying tool use and machinery management
- Install and remove scaffolding, ramps and barricades at construction site
- Assist heavy equipment operators in securing and guiding movement of equipment
- Level earth to grade specifications
- Assist in demolishing buildings
- Mix, pour and spread concrete and asphalt
- Help align pipes and other activities during oil and gas pipeline construction
- Operate pneumatic hammers and tampers
- Direct traffic at or near construction sites
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Numeracy, reading, communication, problem-solving
- Physical fitness
- Ability to work in high places
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse weather
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Experience using power tools & machinery
What You’ll Need
Includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.