Heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration mechanics install, troubleshoot and repair entire heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems such as residential central air conditioning and commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
- Measure and install refrigeration and air conditioning components
- Test for leaks and replace components for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Install, maintain and repair refrigerant and electrical controls and building automation systems
- Measure, cut and connect piping
- Use hand and power tools, including welding equipment
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Prepare work estimates
What You’ll Need
Usually a combination of 5+ years of construction experience, plus high school, college or industry courses in plumbing to be eligible for certification.
4 years, includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Strong communication skills, reading and numeracy
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Physical fitness and strength
- Ability to work with machinery and hand and power tools