Elevator constructors and mechanics assemble, install, maintain and repair freight and passenger elevators, escalators, moving walkways and other related equipment. In this career, they are most often employed by elevator construction and maintenance companies. They may specialize in installation, maintenance or repair.
- Install and wire electric and electronic control system devices
- Adjust valves, seals, brake linings and other components
- Install, test and adjust safety control devices
- Troubleshoot mechanical or electrical systems failures
- Test equipment and repair or replace parts
- Carry out preventative maintenance programs to ensure public safety
- Maintain logbooks that detail all repairs and checks performed
What You’ll Need
Usually a combination of 4+ years of work experience in the trade, plus some high school, college or industry courses in elevator construction or repair to be eligible for certification.
4 to 5 years, includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Reading, communication and numeracy skills
- Problem-solving and planning
- Ability to use specialized instrumentation & equipment
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Ability to do detailed, precise work indoors and out
- Physical fitness